On a night more suited for ducks than drivers, Cliff Daniels made the biggest splash in the rain with a photo-finish victory during round seven of the 10-week Hardee's Summer Shootout Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
The Smithfield, Va., driver took the lead for the first time at the finish line on the way to his first feature win in the Tom Johnson Camping Center Legends Car Pro division.
Daniels nipped division point leader Josh Waring by approximately six inches at the stripe in one of the closest finishes in Hardee's Summer Shootout history. Fairfax, Iowa's Landon Cassill claimed show honors in the top division for Legends Car competitors.
Ryan Jernigan of Hickory, N.C., also claimed a last-lap victory in wet conditions. Jernigan took advantage of a caution on lap 17 to close the gap behind leader Joshua Sisco, then slipped past him on lap 19 to grab his third feature victory of the season in the Premise Termite Elimination Outlaws division. Point leader Bruce Benson rounded out the top three.
Veteran Legends Car driver Clay Hair of Mt. Pleasant, N.C., avoided a five-car wreck that collected point leader John Sossoman and captured his third feature victory in the Holiday Inn University Masters division. Hair jokingly credited "H20 tires" for the win which propelled him past Sossoman into the division point lead. Jan Ingram and Eddie Harwell followed Hair across the stripe.
John Freeman of Huntersville, N.C., extended his advantage in the point standings of the Quaker Steak & Lube Thunder Roadster division by claiming his second consecutive feature victory. Freeman took the lead on lap 15 and cruised the remaining five laps to the checkers. Ryan Zeck started next-to-last but finished second followed by Andrew Rogers in third place.
In the final feature of the night, Asheville, N.C.'s Rob Hall started fifth, took the lead on lap 11 and breezed through clean air to score his first win of the season in the Raceape.com Legends Car Semi-Pro division. Jess Mattox was next under the flag with Andrew Carlsen settling for third in the 18-car field.
In the Hardee's Summer Shootout debut of "drifting," the art of controlling a car while it slides sideways, four drivers displayed their skill on the frontstretch quarter-mile oval. After individual and group freestyle exhibitions, Jim Millard of Greenville, S.C., was labeled the most daring drifter thanks to loudest show of fan support.
The TopChoice for Fire Ants Bandits and Cabarrus Family Medicine Young Guns Bandolero division features were postponed due to wet conditions. Both divisions will run double feature events next week.
The Road Hawgs, a new division that puts the "stock" back into stock car racing, will make their final Hardee's Summer Shootout appearance of the season Tuesday night, Aug. 3, during round eight of the 10-week series. After a summer of beating, banging and four abreast racing, more than a dozen Road Hawgs are expected to be on hand. A full slate of Legends Car, Bandolero and Thunder Roadster racing is also on the card.
Gates open at 5 p.m. with feature racing starting at 7:30. Call 1-800-455-FANS for ticket information or visit www.charlottemotorspeedway.com
Tom Johnson Camping Center Legends Car Pro Feature (20 laps):
1. Cliff Daniels; 2. Josh Waring; 3. Landon Cassill; 4. Jesse Bunnell; 5. Michael Wirth; 6. Michael Van Wingerden; 7. Jesse Smith; 8. Thomas Van Wingerden; 9. Ben Stancil; 10. David Ragan; 11. Chris Dilbeck; 12. Louis Hawkins; 13. Max Smith; 14. Richie Steamboat; 15. Kyle Grissom; 16. Tommy Pistone III; 17. Todd Adams; 18. Beau Slocomb; 19. Mike Sboro; 20. Jason Reisman; 21. Brent Seeley; 22. Kyle Busch; 23. Tony Wachter; 24. Tolliver Smith.
Quaker Steak & Lube Thunder Roadster Feature (20 laps):
1. John Freeman; 2. Ryan Zeck; 3. Andrew Rogers; 4. Steve Zacharias; 5. Michael Van Wingerden; 6. Ralph Sheheen; 7. Tom Van Wingerden; 8. Buddy Compton; 9. Terry Horak; 10. Adam Welch; 11. Jim Greshem; 12. Mark Miller; 13. Roger Simons; 14. Mr. Bill Summerville; 15. Hunt Dyer; 16. Chris Lingenfelter; 17. Scott Whittaker; 18. Jon Wood; 19. Brian Zacharias.
Raceape.com Legends Car Semi-Pro Feature (20 laps):
1. Rob Hall; 2. Jess Mattox; 3. Andrew Carlsen; 4. Scooter Hilllis; 5. Scott Knox; 6. Kim Bruder; 7. Brandon Weber; 8. R. Todd Johnson; 9. Casey Callaway; 10. Matt Dibendetto; 11. Tonya Cordrey; 12. Chrissy Wallace; 13. Tiffany Daniels; 14. Keith Breasbois; 15. Dustin Rumley; 16. Philip Gill; 17. Jordan Anderson; 18. Andrew Rogers; 19. Dennis Kiser; 20. Patrick McVay; 21. Chad Edwards; 22. Jake Crum; 23. Matt Bowers; 24 .Steven McRae; 25. Josh Sell; 26. Mike Hampton; 27. Casey Tate; 28. John Barilka.
Holiday Inn University Legends Car Masters Feature (20 laps):
1. Clay Hair; 2. Jan Ingram; 3. Eddie Harwell; 4. Bill Crowder; 5. Chris Carlsen; 6. George "Cotton" Spry; 7. Randy Spencer; 8. Brian Wiemer; 9. Bruce Sawicki; 10. Tom Van Wingerden; 11. "Captain" John Smith; 12. Dr. Mark Moskowitz; 13. Bill Gardner; 14. Carlos Moore; 15. Bobby Pence; 16. John Sossoman; 17. Phil "Razor" Sharpe; 18. Dr. Gary Shannon; 19. Freddie Lancaster; 20. Chuck Dohm; 21. Chase Hitchcock; 22. Terry Scherz; 23. Dennis White; 24. John Wachter.
Premise Termite Elimination Bandolero Outlaws Feature (20 laps):
1. Ryan Jernigan; 2. Joshua Sisco; 3. Bruce Benson II; 4. Chris Morgan; 5. Artie Cleaver; 6. Dawn Eagens; 7. Kevin Bllicourt; 8. Charles Long Jr.; 9. Marcus Limehouse; 10. Brad Griffin; 11. Jennifer Spain; 12. Jason Haynes; 13. Scott Brown; 14. Derek Robbins.