|07/19/18||The Spin Commandments|
|07/18/18||Speedway Installs 88,000 Square Feet of Synthetic Turf|
|07/17/18||Craig Masters the Bojangles' Summer Shootout|
|07/17/18||Ready, Set, ROVAL™|
|07/13/18||Mayer Campaigns for Bojangles' Summer Shootout Glory|
Charlotte Motor Speedway Prepares Fans for Race Week Traffic
In preparation for race week at Charlotte Motor Speedway Oct. 10-12, speedway officials want to make sure race fans and area residents are fully equipped to handle race day traffic by providing safe and efficient travel routes and information.
With help from the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the North Carolina State Highway Patrol (NCSHP), Charlotte Motor Speedway is working to ease travel for fans heading to and from the races. The heaviest traffic is expected on I-85, U.S. 29, N.C. 49 and Bruton Smith Boulevard.
Here are tips from Charlotte Motor Speedway and NCDOT:
For motorists traveling from South Carolina:
Take I-77 North to the I-485 outer loop (Exit 1B) to U.S. 29 North (Exit 32) or N.C. 49 North (Exit 33).
For motorists traveling from west of Charlotte:
Take I-85 North to Mallard Creek Church Road (Exit 46), turn right and follow to U.S. 29 North. Fans can also take I-485 (Exit 48) to U.S. 29 North (Exit 32) or N.C. 49 (Exit 33). Through traffic should remain in the left two lanes of I-85 North to avoid delays near Exit 49.
For motorists traveling from east of Charlotte:
Take the I-485 outer loop to U.S. 29 North (Exit 32) or N.C. 49 North (Exit 33).
For motorists traveling from north of Charlotte:
Take I-85 South to U.S. 29/601 (Exit 58) or Poplar Tent Road (Exit 52) to Pitts School Road to U.S. 29 South.
Officials recommend motorists take the I-485 outer loop to N.C. 49 North, which is usually less congested than other suggested routes.
Commuters that use I-85 can expect delays on Thursday and Friday afternoon, Oct. 11-12, and should adjust driving time or use an alternate route. Additionally, on Saturday, Oct. 12, officials will limit access from I-85 to Exit 49 at approximately 10 p.m.
Best Travel Times on Race Days
- It is best to arrive at Charlotte Motor Speedway before 5 p.m. for Bojangles' Pole Night on Thursday, Oct. 10 and the Dollar General 300 on Friday, Oct. 11, to avoid commuter traffic.
- The Dollar General 300 on Oct. 11 and Bank of America 500 on Oct. 12 are both evening races, but fans are encouraged to arrive early to avoid congestion. Parking lots open at 7 a.m. and there is plenty of prerace entertainment for fans to enjoy leading up to the green flag.
Post-Race Traffic Patterns for Bank of America 500
NCDOT will utilize counter flow patterns after the Bank of America 500 on Oct. 12.
- Traffic exiting from Entrance P onto Morehead Road will counter flow with three eastbound lanes being utilized until Highway 49 in Harrisburg, N.C.
- Those exiting from Entrance O onto Morehead Road will counter flow four lanes westbound out until Highway 29. All lanes will be directed to turn left towards Charlotte.
- Bruton Smith Boulevard will counter flow using three lanes from Entrance Y until Interstate 85.
- Highway 29 will counter flow using three lanes until Pitt School Road in Concord.
- West Morehead Road/Mallard Creek Church Road will counter flow until Salem Church Road.
Post-Race Traffic Patterns for Dollar General 300
NCDOT will only utilize the counter flow patterns for the Dollar General 300 on Oct. 11 if needed. Traffic leaving Concord Mills mall around 5 p.m. may not be able to connect to hotels, restaurants and businesses to the east of the Interstate 85 bridge.
NCDOT will utilize overhead message signs and portable message signs to alert motorists of problem areas and suggested alternate routes around incidents and congestion. The department advises motorists to check for real time traffic information by calling 511 or by signing up for updates on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ncdot_charlotte.
Traffic maps are posted on Charlotte Motor Speedway's website at www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/fans/maps/.
Tickets are still available for all October race events at Charlotte Motor Speedway and can be purchased online at www.charlottemotorspeedway.com or by calling the speedway ticket office at 1-800-455-FANS (3267). Fans can catch all three days of racing, including Bojangles' Pole Night, the Dollar General 300 and the Bank of America 500 with packages starting at just $99.
Keep up with all the latest news from the speedway by liking Charlotte Motor Speedway on Facebook at www.facebook.com/charlottemotorspeedway or following on Twitter at www.twitter.com/cltmotorspdwy.