'Sweet' Ride Tops Monday's Better Half Dash presented by Nature Made Qualifying
Katelyn Sweet used second-hand advice from her boyfriend, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kyle Larson, to blister the frontstretch quarter-mile at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Monday and post the fastest time in qualifying for Thursday's Better Half Dash presented by Nature Made - a bumper-banging Bandolero battle among some of NASCAR's fastest females racing for charities.
Sweet's 20.081-second lap topped Brad Keselowski's girlfriend Paige White by .063 seconds.
"Some of the kids who drive Bandoleros (in the Bojangles' Summer Shootout Series) helped me, and their dads gave Kyle advice that he gave me," Sweet explained. "It's fun (to be fastest) because I'm competitive."
Sweet's scorching lap time won't guarantee her the pole for Thursday's race. Fans can decide which driver picks their starting spot by donating money to drivers' charities by 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 5 at http://www.go2mro.com/betterhalfdash/drivers.php.
Here's a breakdown of the 10 drivers' qualifying times and their chosen charities:
- Katelyn Sweet, girlfriend of Sprint Cup Series driver Kyle Larson (National Breast Cancer Foundation and The Autism Society): 20.081 seconds;
- Paige White, girlfriend of Sprint Cup Series driver Brad Keselowski (The Brad Keselowski Checkered Flag Foundation): 20.144;
- Haley Dillon, wife of XFINITY Series driver Ty Dillon (Pitstops For Hope): 20.265
- Kinsley Parsons, fiancée of NASCAR Official Patrick Merrill (Victory Junction): 20.523;
- Tati Papis, wife of MPI steering wheels founder and former driver Max Papis (Martin Truex Jr. Foundation): 20.540;
- Anna McAllister, fiancée of Roush Fenway Racing tire changer Cory Baldwin (Special Olympics): 20.624;
- Wendy Venturini, wife of Toyota Racing Development Engineer Jarrad Egert (Motor Racing Outreach): 20.781;
- Candice Smith, wife of Red Horse Racing mechanic Chris Smith (Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation): 21.260;
- Julie Mauldin, wife of Motor Racing Outreach President and CEO Billy Mauldin (Motor Racing Outreach): 21.375;
- Jessica Nichols, wife of Team Penske tire specialist Dave Nichols (Joey Logano Foundation): 21.544.
Fans can buy tickets to the Oct. 6-8 Bank of America 500 race weekend by calling 1-800-455-FANS (3267), or visiting http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/tickets/. Tickets are also available at the speedway ticket office. Weekend passes start at just $99 and Chase University passes for college students cost just $24. Children 13 and under get in FREE to Bojangles' Pole Night on Oct. 6 and the Oct. 7 Drive for the Cure 300 presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Kids' tickets are only $10 for the Bank of America 500.
Fans can connect with Charlotte Motor Speedway by following on Twitter and Instagram or become a Facebook fan. Keep up with all the latest news and information with the Charlotte Motor Speedway mobile app.