Superspeedway Track Facts
Length: 1.5 miles or 7, 920 feet
Frontstretch: 1,980 feet
Backstretch: 1,500 feet
Turns 1 & 2: 2,400 feet
Turns 3 & 4: 2,040
Radius Turns 1 & 2: 685 feet
Radius Turns 3 & 4: 625 feet
Banking in corners: 24-degrees
Banking is straightaways: 5-degrees
Seating capacity: 89,000
About Charlotte Motor Speedway
For more than 50 years, Charlotte Motor Speedway has set the standard for motorsports entertainment and evolved into "The Greatest Place to See the Race." Nestled in the heart of NASCAR country, the Mecca of Motorsports is the only race vacation destination where fans can immerse themselves in the sport by taking in an event at the legendary 1.5-mile superspeedway and visit race team shops and the NASCAR Hall of Fame
- The Charlotte Motor Speedway complex encompasses nearly 2,000 acres and includes a 2.25-mile road course, a six-tenths-mile karting layout and a quarter-mile oval within the walls of the 1.5-mile superspeedway. A one-fifth-mile oval is located just outside Turn 3.
- Three Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series events, two NASCAR Xfinity Series
racesand a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race are among the events held each year on the 1.5-mile superspeedway. Other events on the various tracks include a weekly short-track series for Legend Cars and Bandoleros; national and regional car club competitions; and World Karting Association regional, national and international races. Charlotte Motor Speedway also annually presents three of the nation's largest car shows and swap meets—the AutoFairs in April and September and the Goodguys Southeastern Nationals street rod spectacular in October.
- In May 2000, a state-of-the-art four-tenths-mile clay oval—The Dirt Track at Charlotte—was completed across Highway 29 from the speedway. The stadium-style facility has 14,000 seats and annually hosts the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series and the World of Outlaws Late Model Series along with a championship Monster Truck spectacular.
- In August 2008, zMAX Dragway was completed on 46.5 acres of land adjacent to The Dirt Track. The Bellagio of drag strips boasts 30,000 grandstand seats and 40 luxury suites. It's also a track of "firsts," as in the first drag strip in the world to feature two pedestrian tunnels underneath the strip to increase fan mobility, and its most prominent feature, the world's only four-lane racing surface.
Charlotte Motor Speedway Fun Facts
- The land Charlotte Motor Speedway now occupies was the site of a working plantation during the Civil War.
- President George Washington ate lunch and rested in a house that once served as the speedway's offices.
- During a typical race weekend, fans consume more than 34,000 slices of pizza, 9,500 gallons of soda and water, 13,500 feet of hot dogs and 309,000 pounds of ice.
- Charlotte Motor Speedway became the first modern superspeedway to host night racing in 1992.
In 2011, Charlotte Motor Speedway set a Guinness World Record with the debut of the world's largest HDTV at a sports venue, spanning nearly 16,000 square feet of viewing pleasure for fans.