The Sound and the Fury: What to watch for in Monster Energy MXGP of the Americas
The Monster Energy MXGP of the Americas on Sept. 2-3 at The Dirt Track at Charlotte marks the penultimate race of the MXGP season. For fans seeking an adrenaline rush that can only be felt in person, the race offers a unique cultural dynamic spanning the charged atmosphere of the enormous Monster Energy experience to the sensory overload that is world-class motocross on a global stage. Here's six things to keep track of as the high-powered spectacle of speed draws near:
- SUPERCOURSE - Riders will compete on a challenging, one-mile circuit composed of towering jumps, a long straightaway and twisting hairpiins. The two-day event features one 30-minute-plus-two-lap race per day, so there’s two chances to catch stars like Eli Tomac, Tim Gajser, Justin Barcia and Chad Reed mixing it up for hard-earned glory.
- AMERICAN STARS – Tomac, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s No. 1 rider and one of the biggest stars in motocross, headlines an American contingent heavy on talent. JGRMX Yamaha’s Justin Barcia and newly crowned pro motocross 250 champion and Factory Yamaha signee Cooper Webb – a Morehead City, North Carolina, native – are two more American standouts to watch.
- INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGERS – MXGP’s international rider lineup is naturally strong. Slovenian star and MXGP championship leader Tim Gajser, defending champion Romain Febvre from France and perennial contender Tony Cairoli from Italy make up three riders from across the pond who have the potential to steal victory from their American counterparts.
- RIDE DAY – One of the most unique things surrounding the Monster Energy MXGP of the Americas is its Sept. 4 Ride Day, when amateur riders can take their bikes onto the same circuit as the world champions for an afternoon of excitement. Call 1-800-455-FANS (3267) or visit online to book a spot. Spaces are limited, so act fast!
- GREAT SEATS, GREAT ENTERTAINMENT – Every seat at The Dirt Track at Charlotte offers a tremendous view of the one-mile circuit on which the stars will battle. Additionally, Monster Energy will bring plenty of eye-catching Monster Energy girls, a sky-scraping Freestyle FMX exhibition and an Unknown Industries Harley-Davidson wheelie and smoke show.
- PADDOCK ACCESS – Fans who buy paddock passes get the chance to see the stars and their bikes up close – and maybe land an autograph as well. Call 1-800-455-FANS (3267) or visit online to order one- or two-day paddock passes for the race.
Single-day tickets start at $30 plus tax for Friday and $49 plus tax for Saturday. Call 1-800-455-FANS (3267) or shop online to buy tickets and paddock passes.
Fans can connect with Charlotte Motor Speedway by following on Twitter and Instagram or become a Facebook fan. Keep up with all the latest news and information with the Charlotte Motor Speedway mobile app.