Area Principals Prep for School Bus Slobberknocker During Back-to-Back Days of Exciting Bojangles' Summer Shootout Action
- An area principal school bus race headlines the second week of Bojangles' Summer Shootout action June 20-21 at Charlotte Motor Speedway; Eight principals will compete in a Monday qualifying race on go-karts prior to Tuesday's school bus feature that will supplant two days of Legend Car and Bandolero action on the frontstretch quarter-mile
- Tickets to the family-friendly Bojangles' Summer Shootout cost just $8 for adults and children under 13 get in FREE. Fans can purchase Bojangles' Summer Shootout tickets by visiting charlottemotorspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-455-FANS (3267)
While area students are off for summer break, eight local school principals still have extra-curricular activities on their minds, as the thrill-seeking principals plan to take each other to school on Charlotte Motor Speedway's frontstretch quarter-mile during the second week of thrilling Bojangles' Summer Shootout action on Monday, June 20 and Tuesday, June 21. School officials from schools in Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties will strap into go-karts on Monday for a qualifying race to set the field for an unforgettable school bus slobberknocker on Tuesday that will supplant a double dose of wheel-to-wheel Legend Car and Bandolero action.
The school bus race gives principals a chance to compete for school spirit and bragging rights at Charlotte Motor Speedway, while fans receive unmatched entertainment with some of motorsports' rising stars battling it out before and after the school bus showdown. With children 13 and under getting in free all summer, the turnout of students expected to cheer on their principals is expected to be strong.
The field of competitors for this year's turf war of two-ton school buses includes:
- James Roberts - Carl A. Furr Elementary
- Dustin Shoe - C. Griffin Middle
- Kevin Blackburn - Central Cabarrus High
- James Helf - Odell Elementary
- Charlie Copeland - David Cox Road Elementary
- Heidi Copeland (Kart Race)/Steve Bookhart (Bus Race) - Patriots Elementary
- Drew Fitzgerald - M. Irvin Elementary
- Michelle Kline - Hickory Ridge High
Harris Road Middle School principal Tripp Aldredge will not return to defend his title this year, so a new champion will be crowned once the dust settles Tuesday night.
"I've never driven a bus before, so this should be interesting, said Cox Road Elementary School's Charlie Copeland. "Our school is just a few miles from the track and our students and staff are excited about being part of the Summer Shootout fun. We've had a NASCAR driver and stock car at Cox Road in the past, but we've never had the opportunity to be part of events at Charlotte Motor Speedway, so we're looking forward to a great night."
Along with the action-packed racing that comes with every night of the Bojangles' Summer Shootout, fans can also document all their experiences using the hashtag #LetsBoRacing on social media.
Fans can find a free live stream of the Bojangles' Summer Shootout at CharlotteMotorSpeedway.com, USLegendCars.com and GoPRN.com as well as on the US Legend Cars YouTube channel starting at 7 p.m. each night.
Spectator gates open at 5 p.m. with preliminary action starting at 5:10 p.m. Opening ceremonies are scheduled at 7 p.m., and feature races are scheduled to conclude by approximately 10 p.m.
Tickets, which cost only $8 for adults and FREE for kids 13 and under, can be purchased at the gate or in advance by calling 800-455-FANS or online at charlottemotorspeedway.com. Fans can also watch half-hour weekly Bojangles' Summer Shootout highlight shows on MAVtv.